Tuesday 16 April 2013


MAMA AWERO’S  50 YEARS ON STAGE……
My Parents Wanted Me to Join Customs
Madam Lanre Hassan Adeshina (Mama Awero) is one name that no one can ignore in the Nigerian showbiz industry having been there from its inception and still waxing strong. Fifty years on, she shares her experience, challenge and success with OREDOLA ADEOLA. In this interview.
HOW IT ALL STARTED 
   Hmm… it all started at a tender age, when I was in school, St’ Peters School, Lagos. I was raised in a polygamous home; I really do not have a stable academic stay in a particular school, as I kept switching from one school to the other until I finally concluded my studies at Christ Cathedral School. I started acting with a group called YOUNG STARS CONCERT PARTY right from my secondary school days.
   In 1963, at Christ Cathedral School, Lagos, I met the late Ojo Ladipo, as at then the rivalry was much as I usually challenged him to come and see our performances, which I used to brag about being of better standard and perfection than what his group offered. In 1964, we teamed up to form a formidable group called OJO LADIPO THEATRE GROUP. Initially we were functioning without a leader and we noticed there was no regulation and organizational structure, so we decided to conduct an election that produced Ojo Ladipo, as the team leader. It was after his death in 1978, that we had to change the name to AWADA KERIKERI, the group was made up of veterans, pressure was mounted on me to lead the group,since I was the eldest, an offer which I turned down, I informed them that leadership of a team of that magnitude would succeed when  handled by a man, so I was given the opportunity to select and  I chose Mr Adebami Salami(Oga Bello). The choice of Adebayo Salami as the leader turned out to be an excellent idea as he showed some leadership traits which boosted our career as he solely sponsored our event poster with his first bicycle allowance, he was paid as a staff of Federal Ministry of Works and Housing. The success of our performance at the play “THE MADAM” at Lover’s Hall was credited to his benevolence. The lesson I learnt from that action was that no matter the effort one puts on anything, one would end up reaping the fruits immensely. I received Adebayo Salami‘s application to join Ojo Ladipo Theatre, he paid to join the group with one pound one.
PARENTAL SUPPORT
  At the early stage of my career, my parents did not encourage me to take acting as a career as parents would want their children to join the force or paramilitary. They wanted me to join Nigeria Customs Service, but since I was passionate about acting, fortunately through divine intervention and interest shown by Professor Wole Soyinka on my career, having discovered my talent as a scout in an audition he conducted. My guardians who had thrown out my luggage out of their apartment, received a letter from Prof. Wole Soyinka, which came to them as a surprise as it turned out to be a turning-point in my career.
  This condition therefore, made them change their mind.  Prof. Wole Soyinka conducted the audition, and I was shortlisted for a scholarship to take a year course in acting and from there one could get a direct entry into the University of any choice in the country. The programme was structured to accommodate us, it was like a Diploma.  I owe my versatility today to the programme, this I would say the programme is reason why I find it easy to switch from one role to the other today.
HUSBAND’S SUPPORT
In the early days of my career, I married a man who did not endorse my acting career, albeit I was an actress when he met me. It was difficult for him to reckon with what I do, he suggested that I drop the job, but with the help of God, the Late Art Alade and Adediran had to sit him down and convinced him on the nature of job that I do, convincing him into realizing that it won’t in anyway affect our marriage. I was confronted with several challenge, the pressure was so severe when I was with Ojo Ladipo, who managed to convince him further, fortunately, he eventually allowed me. I made him realize that if he truly loves me, he should show it by loving my career. I respected him a lot, usually all men would not allow this but since he respected and trusted me, and I did too, I was able to cope with pressure from men. There was a proper understanding between us
ACHIEVEMENTS
 God  enables all forms of achievement , and what brings me joy is the fact that I am accepted by everybody, in every way both outside and within the country, I exhibited  high sense of humour which of brings joy to people.  It is always chants of “Awero, Awero, Awero” from one place to the other, the joy is unprecedented.
ANY REGRET
 I do not have any regret, the only regret I had was when I lost my child in 1974, she was in custodian of my parents and a message was sent to me in the location so I had to rush down. I also lost another one at the funeral of Ojo Ladipo, we slept at the deceased’s place, the next day, I woke up but my child couldn’t. When confronted with things of this magnitude, you would kind of see reasons to rethink and eventually drop the interest for the job but what could I have done? I summoned courage and fledged on, I couldn’t have changed my mind both as the deed has been done. I had to pray to God the giver of life to watch over my other children. This is the only regret
NOLLYWOOD AT TWENTY
The celebration of “Living in Bandage” as the first home video is totally contradictory. Some of our stage plays were also recorded into the video even before the emergence of the acclaimed pioneer film. Some of our stage plays which we put on videos were not commercialized; there were some videos that existed before this time, what about those films produced by Baba Ogunde and Ogunmola, Oyin Adejobi and co? Where do you want to place these ones? I personally do not believe that Nollywood celebrated today is 20. As a practitioner, it is far beyond that, if Alade Aromire’s jobs which were shot a long time ago could be carefully put into consideration he should have claimed the glory.

GREATEST JOB
All my jobs are the greatest, as God richly blessed my jobs. I can’t really say there is a job which is the best. I ensured that I put my best in all that I do and I it is why I have moved this far. Sincerely all my films are the best and my greatest.


0 comments:

Post a Comment