Thursday 25 April 2013

LISTEN WELL, OUR NONSENSE MAKES SENSE -BANNY “OGIDIGA”



  Olayinka Abaniwonda popularly known as Banny  Fasta Foster, is an artiste who has carved a niche for himself with his hit banger “Oskambo” . He sings Afro hiphop/ dancehall. In this interview with OREDOLA ADEOLA he bares his mind on the controversy surrounding dancehall music and his deal with the makers of the popular liquor; OGIDIGA.

WHY DID YOU DO THE SONG OGIDIGA?
  I actually did the song for its end users on the street and not necessarily to advertise it. My intention was clear, as I did the song for my fans that love taking the liquor; its acceptance was exhilarating, although I was not consulted by the brand to do this. The whole story started when I accosted my friend to a restaurant, the order was made and I was served the drink, at first, I dropped it but I was persuaded that it is good for health which I tried and found it nice.It was out of this fascination that I got the inspiration to write a song about it.Today the song has become a popular everywhere
HOW MUCH WERE YOU PAID TO DO THIS SONG?
 The brand owners were the first to call me when they heard the song and the impact it was making, I have since been invited by the management of the brand, and so far, in all fairness, they have accepted me as their own, we are in good working relationship and as far as I am concerned they have tried. Till date, I have always enjoyed regular supply of their products and consistent consultations. I don’t want to be too rigid about my deal with them but I have a cordial relationship with them.
WOULD YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE AN OPPORTUNIST WHO USES THE COMMERCIAL SONG TO ATTRACT ATTENTION FOR YOURSELF?
BANNY
  OGIDIGA is not the song that brought me to limelight, I have other good songs that had fared well in the market, and my songs have been on the mix-tapes for so long and have been accepted. Before I even thought of writing Ogidiga, I was already doing well, so I won’t agree with the insinuation that the song made me, I did OSKAMBO where I featured Zee-World, that was about four years ago, that came out more popular and brought me fame than Ogidiga. I have been in the game for a very long time so I am not a new player in the industry. My name BANNY OSKAMBO SOLDIER is a revered name on the street especially in the dancehall music circuit.  I am not an opportunist to have used that brand to reach the music market it came as a coincidence. OGIDIGA was a slogan that was trending then and I had to flow with it.
YOU MUST BE IN THE CLASS OF ARTISTES THAT “SHINES THEIR EYES BEFORE PERFORMING TO IDENTIFY SAME. OR …..?
  There is no point denying anything. As an artiste I don’t smoke but I drink. For those who get fired up by drinking that is and not mine, I don’t believe in getting stimulated with alcohol before coming on stage. The taste of a drink is a “tasty thing” for anybody who derives pleasure in it. I really don’t support taking something before performing, a natural and talented artiste should be alert anytime to perform without a stimulant. Music is natural and performers should be natural too. Music is a way of life, if you listen to my lyrics I sing about what is trending around me, I relate with my community.
 ARE YOU AWARE THAT DANCEHALL MUSICIANS LACKS LYRICAL CONTENTS COMPARED WITH OTHER GENRES?
  I won’t accept that, from my own perspective music is all about bringing your own style and relating with the people. Dancehall is my style and I have never lacked lyrical contents. Listen to it and there is always a message about the society. There is always a message, what I advise people is that they should not see dancehall music as trash, they should listen to the lyrics, the nonsense you feel we sing makes much sense if you listen closely to our songs

GENERALLY, WHAT IMPACT HAS MUSIC CREATED ON YOUR LIFE?
  Music being a universal language that everybody can comprehend, makes sense, as long as the sound and progression rhymes, people tend to flow with it, example is Awilo’s Makossa song became a club banger few years ago, not all Nigerians understood what he was singing but they related with it well and it was a vogue and later became part of us.
  Music has positively added value to my way of life. I enjoy the respect everywhere I go, people paying my bills and really wanting to do things with me, the respect is overwhelming. If not for music our society would have become something else.
WHAT WAS YOUR GROWING-UP DAYS LIKE?
Banny Performs on Stage
  I grew up from a disciplined and educated home, and they impacted well on their children. The love for music started in my early days in 2003 in the Polytechnic parents wanted me to be a graduate, the acceptability for music was so low, so when I crossed to the University of Lagos , I started introducing it exclusively to them and they ended up giving me the opportunity because of the respect they got from  the street anytime people notice they are my parents. I studied Industrial Management. But all the same they still persuade me to practice what I learnt in school and my resolve is that I would rather prefer a music management outfit.
WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
  I want to fully go into music because all the while I have been practicing other things. I am still a civil servants working with a particular local government. Financially i want to have a base and own my record label, as the existing record labels are not faring well in terms of treating artistes well, I would do well protecting the interest of the artistes than the people who are currently dictating the trend. Music Management will thrive, if it is handled by professionals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment