Friday 12 April 2013

I BELIEVE MY DISABILITY IS A PLUS FOR GREATNESS – MAN OF GOD(M.O.G)

Prince Emmanuel Benson(M.O.G) and his parents


 The intriguing life of Prince Emmanuel Benson a.k.a Man of God (MOG) who was born with disability remains a miracle to behold. This gospel artiste, writer and a motivational speaker recently opened up on his life, dreams and visions. In this interview with OREDOLA ADEOLA , excerpt.
WHO IS MAN OF GOD
My name is Prince Emmanuel Benson Okungae, I was born 33 years ago into the family of Engr. Benson Okungae, a retired Senior Officer in the Nigeria Airforce, from Edo State. The challenges of birth which I refused giving up on made me who I am today. I have lived to prove skeptics wrong as I have been doubted in a number of occasions especially from birth over my ability to survive this condition. For almost seventeen years I was deaf and dumb, my parents informed me that one of the medical doctor in Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, confided in them that I will be useless for the rest of my life and he advised them to go and throw me out or abandon me in the village, against all odds they stood by me with the believe that I can change, because they have the fear of God. I was reduced to an object of pity and sometimes cruel mockery.
HOW DID YOU WITNESS THE TRANSFORMATION IN YOU
  It was God’s grace and intervention that I am talking and sitting today, surprisingly one day, I just discovered that I could talk and could also hear, on a fateful day when my father was returning home from a course in Germany, my brothers and sisters were welcoming him and shouting in excitement ‘ Daddy O yo yo ! , everybody was surprised that I could talk too as I joined them in rejoicing the arrival of my daddy. Since then I gained that strength to do what I am today doing as I could move from places to place without being helped, I have also been witnessing major changes in my body. My desire for education made my parents to register me in a primary school which I attended. I attended Air Force Primary School , Kaduna, where I was born, but upon my arrival to Lagos I made efforts to return to school but most schools I approached rejected me on the ground that I am far more intelligent than other children and some said they couldn’t cope with my condition.
  Later my parents made effort at registering me into a special school, but after several attempts and interviews  which I passed , the school authority rejected me also as they claimed that they would find it so difficult taking me from one place to the other on staircases most times. Since then I took to learning personally at home, after I discovered that if care was not taken I will end up not being educated I personally trained myself academically by reading books and studying very hard, though it was difficult but I had to do it as I had no choice.
HOW DID YOU DISCOVER YOUR TALENTS
Today I am happy and fulfilled, because I can write and read through self-help. It is this passion that ignited the talent in me, as I started writing books myself, I have written three books. It was after this venture that I discovered the urge to express myself further in singing, as I have the feelings that if I could put what I write down into songs, I could be better fulfilled by expressing my views to my target audience who may not have gotten the opportunity to see my books.
“ I remembered vividly when I told my daddy, that I wanted to release an album, he asked me to go and sit down, noting that who would like to listen to a crocodile voice like mine? I got fired up and I decided to make that dream happen. After a successful attempt at recording my first album, I asked my father to take me to the studio this I never informed him of where we were going to but when he got to the studio, the studio engineer played the song for him, he couldn’t believe it so he started weeping, ever since then, he has been my backbone in all i do.  Musically, I have composed over hundred songs with three albums to my credit which include, THE SYMBOL OF LOVE, MY DESTINY AND CHRIST IN ME THE HOPE OF GLORY. Today, I have moved my talent further by ministering in different places, especially in the church that I attend; The Redeem Christian Church of God, I have the support of my Provincial Pastor, who gave me a note to all the churches under the province where I was allowed to minister”.
WHAT ARE YOUR CHALLENGES IN LIFE
Being where I am today has been tasking going by my transformational story, I have been faced with so many challenges especially in the music career, as quite a lot of people did not believe in me at first, but I later learnt to forge ahead as I have always been challenged whenever I got discouraged. I recount the challenge I faced when I was planning to record my first album, I was able to raise  N100,000 for the project which was later stolen by my personal assistant, he  was asked to go to the bank and pay the sum into my bank account, because the bank  would not allow wheel-chair into the banking halls. I also had lot of challenge in mobility as I don’t have a car to move me around for major outings, since my father’s Jalopy 504 car broke down. I have also been looking for marketers who would assist in the distribution and marketing of my works.
WHAT BRINGS YOU JOY
I am always full of joy each time people walk up to me that they have been blessed by my ministrations, both in books and songs as well as the churches I go to for presentation. I have received a lot of testimonies of life encounters and blessing in my mail account telling me how people got blessed by my ministrations and I am always praying to God to give me more grace to continue this mission.
WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WISH IN LIFE
Hmm , they are numerous but I want the love of my life to come back, I mean my fiancé who left me on the condition that her parents are against our union as they can’t afford giving her to a man on a wheel-chair, although, It was obvious this is against her wish but there was nothing she could do about that, we actually met in an eatery , where she picked interest in me and ever since she has been a source of inspiration to me as she monitored most my financial transactions and infact she is instrumental to the completion of my sound studio , I knew she loves me but the pressure from her parent was so unbearable for her, I strongly have a feelings that she would come back to me someday.
My other wish is the desire to see Pastor E.A Adeboye, I required two things from him if given the opportunity, a blessing and touch for the special grace to continue on my ministry and the need to help endorse my albums. This I believe would go a long way to fulfill my purpose in life. I have made several attempts to reach Baba Adeboye but all effort proved abortive those who would have helped in this capacity usually end up promising me and never do.
HOW DO YOU RELAX
 Each time I am bored I will come down to the studio and start listening to music, and this the studio which I built with the loan I got from someone, and at every point in time I tried paying back, because I can’t afford to keep begging people who owns studio for job as often time they discourage me, whenever I want to do production, i also relax in the company of some of my friends who would come around to spend time with me, so I want to say I really don’t get easily bored.
SO WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS

 I run a ministry called “True Life Worshipper Music Ministry” that God is using in saving souls. The vision is to make people realize that God is looking for true worshippers (John 4:23) also to reach-out to people who have ability in them to come together to reach out and save souls for Christ. I have dedicated my musical studio for the opportunity to give them exposure as well as benefit of recording their songs. I am working on a TV programme with the aim of showcasing my past ministrations for people to watch. Life has not been a bed of roses despite all the challenges I have come out strong and I believe I can be much greater; I want people to see me and appreciate God because I know God has done it and is still doing it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment